- Mom: But if she has a girlfriend, why don't they have sex like heterosexual people and she can skip the surgery and keep her penis?
- Me: Ok it's like this... I give you a fork and tell you to eat some soup. And you want the soup, but you don't want to use the fork. So you ask for a spoon, but I tell you to just keep using a fork, because that's what you already have. Even though it won't work out, people keep telling you to use a fork because why bother getting a spoon if you already have one utensil? And you get frustrated and finally tell them all to fuck themselves and go get a damn spoon because that's what you need and what you want and you're going to have it.
- Mom: ...makes sense.
What I mean when I say “I can’t do that”- Anxiety Version:
- I am unable to do that
- I am too stressed out to do that
- I cannot face the humiliation of attempting to do that
- My body will physically not allow me to do that
- I am on the verge of a panic attack
- I cannot do that
What people hear:
- I am unwilling to do that
- I am just shy
- I am overreacting
- I am lazy
- I need to get more experience in social situation to help my anxiety
- I need a push
- I don’t want to do that
Inspired by X